Current:Home > ContactLatest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds -Visionary Wealth Guides
Latest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:57:05
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The latest search for the remains of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims has ended with three more sets containing gunshot wounds, investigators said.
The three are among 11 sets of remains exhumed during the latest excavation in Oaklawn Cemetery, state archaeologist Kary Stackelbeck said Friday.
“Two of those gunshot victims display evidence of munitions from two different weapons,” Stackelbeck said. “The third individual who is a gunshot victim also displays evidence of burning.”
Forensic anthropologist Phoebe Stubblefield, who will remain on site to examine the remains, said one victim suffered bullet and shotgun wounds while the second was shot with two different caliber bullets.
Searchers are seeking simple wooden caskets because they were described at the time in newspaper articles, death certificates and funeral home records as the type used for burying massacre victims, Stackelbeck has said.
The exhumed remains will then be sent to Intermountain Forensics in Salt Lake City for DNA and genealogical testing in an effort to identify them.
The search ends just over a month after the first identification of remains previously exhumed during the search for massacre victims were identified as World War I veteran C.L. Daniel from Georgia.
There was no sign of gunshot wounds to Daniel, Stubblefield said at the time, noting that if a bullet doesn’t strike bone and passes through the body, such a wound likely could not be determined after the passage of so many years.
The search is the fourth since Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum launched the project in 2018 and 47 remains have now been exhumed.
Bynum, who is not seeking reelection, said he hopes to see the search for victims continue.
“My hope is, regardless of who the next mayor is, that they see how important it is to see this investigation through,” Bynum said. “It’s all part of that sequence that is necessary for us to ultimately find people who were murdered and hidden over a century ago.”
Stackelbeck said investigators are mapping the graves in an effort to determine whether more searches should be conducted.
“Every year we have built on the previous phase of this investigation. Our cumulative data have confirmed that we are finding individuals who fit the profile of massacre victims,” Stackelbeck said.
“We will be taking all of that information into consideration as we make our recommendations about whether there is cause for additional excavations,” said Stackelbeck.
Brenda Nails-Alford, a descendant of massacre survivors and a member of the committee overseeing the search for victims, said she is grateful for Bynum’s efforts to find victim’s remains.
“It is my prayer that these efforts continue, to bring more justice and healing to those who were lost and to those families in our community,” Nails-Alford said.
Earlier this month, Bynum and City Councilor Vanessa Hall-Harper announced a new committee to study a variety of possible reparations for survivors and descendants of the massacre and for the area of north Tulsa where it occurred.
The massacre took place over two days in 1921, a long-suppressed episode of racial violence that destroyed a community known as Black Wall Street and ended with as many as 300 Black people killed, thousands of Black residents forced into internment camps overseen by the National Guard and more than 1,200 homes, businesses, schools and churches destroyed.
veryGood! (346)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Media mogul Barry Diller says Hollywood executives, top actors should take 25% pay cut to end strikes
- How to file your tax returns: 6 things you should know this year
- Without ‘Transformative Adaptation’ Climate Change May Threaten the Survival of Millions of Small Scale Farmers
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Inside Clean Energy: The Energy Storage Boom Has Arrived
- In a Stark Letter, and In Person, Researchers Urge World Leaders at COP26 to Finally Act on Science
- 25,000+ Amazon Shoppers Say This 15-Piece Knife Set Is “The Best”— Save 63% On It Ahead of Prime Day
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- If you're getting financial advice from TikTok influencers don't stop there
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Pride Funkos For Every Fandom: Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & More
- Japan ad giant and other firms indicted over alleged Olympic contract bid-rigging
- In a New Policy Statement, the Nation’s Physicists Toughen Their Stance on Climate Change, Stressing Its Reality and Urgency
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Wealthy Nations Continue to Finance Natural Gas for Developing Countries, Putting Climate Goals at Risk
- Vine Star Tristan Simmonds Shares He’s Starting Testosterone After Coming Out as Transgender
- We're talking about the 4-day workweek — again. Is it a mirage or reality?
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
If you're getting financial advice from TikTok influencers don't stop there
Kourtney Kardashian Seeks Pregnancy Advice After Announcing Baby With Travis Barker
Incursions Into Indigenous Lands Not Only Threaten Tribal Food Systems, But the Planet’s Well-Being
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
The Heartwarming Way John Krasinski Says “Hero” Emily Blunt Inspires Him
Inside Clean Energy: Biden’s Oil Industry Comments Were Not a Political Misstep
Former Sub Passenger Says Waiver Mentions Death 3 Times on First Page