Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:California sues LA suburb for temporary ban of homeless shelters -Visionary Wealth Guides
SafeX Pro:California sues LA suburb for temporary ban of homeless shelters
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 04:53:55
SACRAMENTO,SafeX Pro Calif. (AP) — California filed a lawsuit against a Los Angeles suburb on Monday, alleging the city’s recent moratorium on homeless shelters and temporary housing violates the state’s fair housing and anti-discrimination laws.
The lawsuit is part of an ongoing effort by Gov. Gavin Newsom to push back against what he sees as local resistance and defiance of state laws in the face of California’s desperate need for new housing. The crisis has prompted a surge in the homeless population in the nation’s most populous state.
Norwalk, a city of 100,000 people some 15 miles (24 kilometers) southeast of Los Angeles, becomes the latest city to face legal actions from the state over housing policies. That came after the city council voted in September to extend its temporary ban on new homeless shelters and emergency housing.
City councilmembers in a recent statement said Norwalk has done its fair share to address the homeless crisis but previous state programs, including one that puts homeless people in motel rooms, have led to public safety concerns. The moratorium, which remains in effect until next year, already has blocked a plan by the County of Los Angeles in September to move homeless people into a hotel in the city.
The lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court argues that the city violated half a dozen housing laws by enacting such a moratorium. It is asking the court to halt the city’s law.
“Our message is clear, our message is consistent.” Attorney General Rob Bonta said Monday. “If local governments attempt to skirt state housing laws, if they refuse to do the bare minimum to address the dire lack of affordable and accessible housing in California, we will hold them accountable.”
Monday’s lawsuit comes after Newsom publicly blasted Norwalk and urged local elected officials to reconsider the policy. The state in September warned the city of potential legal action and last month revoked the city’s housing plan, effectively disqualifying it from receiving state funding for homeless and housing programs. Bonta said state officials also met with the city last week but to no avail.
“The Norwalk City Council’s failure to reverse this ban, despite knowing it is unlawful, is inexcusable,” Newsom said in a statement Monday. “No community should turn its back on its residents in need.”
The city mayor and a city spokesperson didn’t immediately respond to emails seeking comment about the lawsuit.
California has ramped up enforcement of state housing laws in the last few years. It sued at least two cities last year for rejecting affordable housing projects and homes for homeless people. Last month, Newsom also signed a package of 32 housing bills to make it easier for the state to go after local cities that defy housing laws.
The lawsuit will likely escalate the conflict between the state and local governments over how many housing projects cities should approve, and how fast they should build them. California needs to build 2.5 million homes by 2030 to keep up with demand, according to the California Department of Housing and Community Development. But the state only averages about 100,000 new homes per year, including only 10,000 affordable units.
The Democratic governor, who has ambitions on the national stage, has made housing and homelessness a top priority as California’s leader. His administration has spent roughly $40 billion to help build affordable housing and $27 billion in homelessness solutions. Earlier this summer, he started to pressure local governments to clean up encampments that have lined up the streets and crowded business’ entrances, going as far as threatening to withhold state funding next year if he doesn’t see results.
veryGood! (96738)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 'It's happening': Mike Tyson and Jake Paul meet face to face to promote fight (again)
- What do grocery ‘best by’ labels really mean?
- Alaska’s top 4 open primary to set stage for a ranked vote in key US House race
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- After $615 Million and 16 Months of Tunneling, Alexandria, Virginia, Is Close to Fixing Its Sewage Overflow Problem
- Chappell Roan speaks out against 'creepy behavior' from fans: 'That's not normal'
- 19-year-old arrested as DWI car crash leaves 5 people dead, including 2 children, in Fort Worth: Reports
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Betty Jean Hall, advocate who paved the way for women to enter coal mining workforce, dies at 78
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Here are the most popular ages to claim Social Security and their average monthly benefits
- Mamie Laverock Leaves Hospital 3 Months After Falling Off Five-Story Balcony
- 'Boy Meets World' star Danielle Fishel diagnosed with breast cancer
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Alain Delon, French icon dubbed 'the male Brigitte Bardot,' dies at 88
- Fantasy football rankings for 2024: Niners' Christian McCaffrey back on top
- Madonna Poses With All 6 Kids in Rare Family Photo From Italian Birthday Bash
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Halle Berry seeks sole custody of son, says ex-husband 'refuses to co-parent': Reports
Love Island USA’s Nicole Jacky Sets the Record Straight on Where She and Kendall Washington Stand
How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Star shatters WNBA rookie assist record
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Nebraska’s special legislative session is high on conflict, low on progress to ease property taxes
Another Braves calamity: Austin Riley has broken hand, out for rest of regular season
Arizona truck driver distracted by TikTok videos gets over 20 years for deadly crash