Current:Home > MyMickey Guyton says calling out Morgan Wallen for racial slur contributed to early labor -Visionary Wealth Guides
Mickey Guyton says calling out Morgan Wallen for racial slur contributed to early labor
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:02:39
Country star Mickey Guyton claims that calling out her genre peer Morgan Wallen's use of a racial slur contributed to her early labor in 2021, according to reports.
The Grammy-nominated country crooner told the Associated Press during an interview that her public rebuke of the "Last Night" singer "definitely triggered" her going into labor.
"It wasn't too, too early, just to be clear, but it definitely trigged it," Guytontold the AP. "Like I got cyberbullied really bad the day before I went into labor. It was really, really stressful."
The "Black Like Me" singer continued to address the controversy, telling the AP that she thinks "it was a lot of contributing factors other than just that. I think that all that we've seen over the whole course of 2020 was really hard, but that kind of just put me over the edge."
Morgan Wallen should be forgivenfor racial slur controversy, Darius Rucker says
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
On Feb. 2, 2021, a video surfaced of Wallen using a racial slur that has historically targeted Black people outside of his Nashville home. Days later, on Feb. 8, Guyton announced the birth of her son Grayson, now 3, on Feb. 8 of that year. Guyton has made headlines for the early labor claim before, including during an "Entertainment Tonight" interview in 2021 and an appearance last month on "The Breakfast Club" nationally syndicated radio program.
She also led the mainstream Nashville-based artists who spoke out on the controversy, which included Maren Morris and Kelsea Ballerini.
"When I read comments saying 'this is not who we are' I laugh because this is exactly who country music is," Guyton said at the time in an X post, adding that she's "witnessed it" for 10 years.
She continued: "You guys should just read some of the vile comments hurled at me on a daily basis. It's a cold hard truth to face but it is the truth."
During the AP interview, Guyton also seemingly addressed being a Black artist country music, saying she questions it "all the time" but seeing the success of Beyoncé's "Cowboy Carter" and the album's Black featured artists such as Shaboozey, Willie Jones, Tanner Adell and Brittney Spencer "makes it all worth it."
Morgan Wallen backlash was swift after racial slur use
Backlash from the insular country music industry in Nashville was swift and immediate after the Wallen video surfaced.
His label, Big Loud Records, announced it was "suspending" the contract of their biggest artist. The nation's largest radio network iHeartMedia took Wallen’s songs out of rotation from their 800-plus stations. He was banned from the ballot of the Academy of Country Music Awards and CMT Music Awards. Streaming services scrubbed him from their official playlists.
Luke Bryan on Beyoncé CMAs snub:'Come into our world' and 'high-five us'
Wallen apologized, canceled all of his scheduled concerts and subsequently disappeared from public life. Then, he came back two months later, telling his loyal fan army that he'd see them "sooner rather than later." In July, he made a surprise appearance at a Luke Bryan concert in Nashville and was greeted by a minute-long standing ovation from the sold-out crowd.
Later, he sat down for an exclusive interview on "Good Morning America" with Michael Strahan, one of the program's two main Black anchors. When asked whether he believed country music had a "race problem," Wallen responded, "It would seem that way, yeah. I haven't really sat and thought about that."
Now, three years later, Wallen's career has returned to its pre-scandal success. Along with Lainey Wilson, he leads the field of nominees at the 58th Annual Country Music Association Awards.
Contributing: Marcus K. Dowling and Dave Paulson, The Tennessean
veryGood! (86)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Scorching heat keeps grip on Southwest US as records tumble and more triple digits forecast
- Why the 2024 Belmont Stakes is at Saratoga Race Course and not at Belmont Park
- Wingstop employee accused of killing manager, shooting another worker after argument
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Ghost Army survivor reflects on WWII deception operation: We were good
- North Carolina House speaker says university athletics scheduling bill isn’t going further
- YouTuber charged for having a helicopter blast a Lamborghini with fireworks, authorities say
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Chiefs cancel OTA session after player suffers 'medical emergency' in team meeting
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Pat Sajak’s final episode as ‘Wheel of Fortune’ host is almost here
- YouTuber charged for having a helicopter blast a Lamborghini with fireworks, authorities say
- North Carolina House speaker says university athletics scheduling bill isn’t going further
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Kansas City Chiefs' BJ Thompson Suffers Cardiac Arrest During Team Meeting
- Middle school crossing guard charged with giving kids marijuana, vapes
- Not 'brainwashed': Miranda Derrick hits back after portrayal in 'Dancing for the Devil'
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
17-year-old boy student in Seattle high school parking lot, authorities say
Judge sentences former Illinois child welfare worker to jail in boy’s death
New 'Hunger Games' book and film adaptation in the works: 'Sunrise on the Reaping'
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Book excerpt: Roctogenarians by Mo Rocca and Jonathan Greenberg
Proof Lindsay Hubbard and Carl Radke's Relationship Was More Toxic Than Summer House Fans Thought
Céline Dion’s Ribs Broke From Spasms Stemming From Stiff-Person Syndrome