Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed -Visionary Wealth Guides
Ethermac Exchange-Former porn shop worker wants defamation lawsuit by North Carolina lieutenant governor dismissed
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 04:26:10
RALEIGH,Ethermac Exchange N.C. (AP) — A former porn shop worker who was accused by North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson of defamation has asked a court to throw out the lawsuit against him, calling the politician’s allegations “bizarre” and his demand for at least $50 million in damages a violation of civil court rules.
Robinson, the Republican nominee for governor, filed a lawsuit in Wake County court Tuesday against CNN and Louis Love Money, of Greensboro, saying they published “disgusting lies” about him.
The lawsuit identified a CNN report last month that Robinson made explicit racial and sexual posts on a pornography website’s message board more than a decade ago. Weeks before CNN’s report, Money alleged in a music video and in a media interview that for several years starting in the 1990s, Robinson frequented a porn shop Money was working at, and that Robinson purchased porn videos from him.
Attorneys for Money, in filing a dismissal motion Wednesday, said that Robinson’s lawsuit violated a procedural rule that requires that a person seeking punitive damages state initially a demand for monetary damages “in excess of $25,000.”
The motion said the rule is designed to “prevent excess demands from leaking publicly in the media and tainting the judicial process.” Violating the rule, attorneys Andrew Fitzgerald and Peter Zellmer wrote, may “have been for the very purpose of creating media attention for Mr. Robinson’s campaign.”
Otherwise, the attorneys also are seeking a dismissal on the grounds that the allegations in the lawsuit, even if they were true, fail to establish a cause of action against Money.
“The complaint contains many impertinent and bizarre allegations,” they wrote.
Asked for a response to the motion, Robinson’s campaign referred to Tuesday’s news release announcing the lawsuit. In it, Robinson said claims from “grifters like Louis Love Money are salacious tabloid trash.”
Money on Tuesday said he stood by what he had said as truthful. CNN declined to comment on the lawsuit when it was filed and had not responded to it in court as of midday Thursday.
Robinson is running against Democratic nominee Josh Stein in the campaign to succeed term-limited Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper.
The CNN report led many fellow GOP elected officials and candidates, including presidential nominee Donald Trump, to distance themselves from Robinson’s gubernatorial campaign. Most of the top staff running Robinson’s campaign and his lieutenant governor’s office quit following the CNN report, and the Republican Governors Association stopped supporting Robinson’s bid.
The network report said it matched details of the account on the message board to other online accounts held by Robinson by comparing usernames, a known email address and his full name. CNN also reported that details discussed by the account holder matched Robinson’s age, length of marriage and other biographical information.
The lawsuit alleges that CNN published its report despite knowing, or recklessly disregarding, that Robinson’s personal data was previously compromised by data breaches.
veryGood! (344)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- It's Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving vs. Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown for the NBA crown
- Oregon officials close entire coast to mussel harvesting due to shellfish poisoning
- French Open institutes alcohol ban after unruly fan behavior
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Edmonton Oilers one win away from Stanley Cup Final. How they pushed Dallas Stars to brink
- Champions League final highlights: Real Madrid beats Dortmund to win 15th European crown
- Christopher Gregor, known as treadmill dad, found guilty in 6-year-old son's death
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- 13-year-old girl dies after being pulled from Discovery Cove pool in Orlando
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes Prove They're the Ones to Beat at White House Celebration With Chiefs
- Summer Nail Trends for 2024: Shop the Best Nail Polish Colors to Pack for Vacation
- How Real Housewives Stars Heather Dubrow and Alexis Bellino’s Transgender Kids Brought Them Closer
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- U.S. to make millions of bird flu vaccine doses this summer, as cases grow
- How to watch Rangers vs. Panthers Game 6: Will Florida return to Stanley Cup Final?
- Woman pleads guilty to negligent homicide in death of New York anti-gang activist
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Caitlin Clark is one of the WNBA's best rebounding guards. Here's how it helps her score
Pregnant Mandy Moore Debuts Baby Bump With Purr-fect Maternity Style
Illinois House speaker’s staff sues to unionize
Travis Hunter, the 2
Jennifer Garner Reacts as Daughter Violet Affleck's College Plans Are Seemingly Revealed
Iowa attorney general will resume emergency contraception funding for rape victims
Biden says Israel has extended new cease-fire proposal