Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|Northwestern football players to skip Big Ten media days amid hazing scandal -Visionary Wealth Guides
Algosensey|Northwestern football players to skip Big Ten media days amid hazing scandal
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 04:42:22
Northwestern football players said Tuesday they are Algosenseyskipping this week's Big Ten media days as the school continues to grapple with the hazing scandal that has dominated headlines in recent weeks.
The three players who were scheduled to attend the media event in Indianapolis − junior linebacker Bryce Gallagher, junior defensive back Rod Heard II and junior wide receiver Bryce Kirtz − said in a statement released by the Wildcats on social media that they made the decision after consulting their parents, teammates and interim coach David Braun, who will still be on hand for media day.
"This was very difficult since we were excited about the opportunity to participate in this great Big Ten tradition, and to talk about the game we love and the season ahead," the players said. "But given the recent events involving the Northwestern football program, we did not want our participation to be dominated by the hazing issue and steal the focus away from football and the upcoming season."
Northwestern first suspended and then later fired longtime head coach Pat Fitzgerald earlier this summer following an external investigation into allegations of hazing within the football program. The school has released only an executive summary of the findings of the probe, though several players have since come forward to share details of the acts that occcurred, some of which were sexual in nature.
At least four former football players, most recently former quarterback and wide receiver Lloyd Yates, have filed lawsuits against the school and/or its leaders in connection with the scandal.
Fitzgerald, who has been named as a defendant in three of those lawsuits, has denied any knowledge of hazing within the program through statements released by his attorney. Northwestern president Michael Schill, meanwhile, has said the school will conduct additional reviews to examine its anti-hazing protocols and the broader culture within its athletic department.
NORTHWESTERN:What we know about Wildcats' hazing scandal
OPINION:Northwestern hazing was a horror show. If it's happening elsewhere, players must speak up.
Even in the absence of Wildcats players, the Northwestern scandal figures to dominate Big Ten's grand preseason media event, which runs Wednesday and Thursday. The story has already received significant attention and prompted numerous questions at other conference media days.
"I remember being a freshman and having to carry people's trays and getting your head shaved when I was a freshman back in 1994. I just thought that was so dramatic," Georgia head coach Kirby Smart said when asked about Northwestern at SEC media days last week.
"But now those freshmen, the guys we sign, they have to play. So when you create this separation of they have to do this and they have to do that, they're not ready to play. They're like a different team. So we do more of a brotherhood. Take this guy in. He's at your position. Can you go out and teach him and walk him through, embrace those guys and make sure they understand that hazing will not be tolerated."
Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner Jim Phillips, who previously worked as Northwestern's athletic director, said at his conference's media event earlier Tuesday that he would not take questions on the matter, citing pending litigation.
"This is a very difficult time for the Northwestern community, and my heart goes out to any person who carries the burden of mistreatment or who has been harmed in any way," he told reporters.
"During my 30-year career in college athletics, my highest priority has always been the health and safety of all student-athletes. As you know, with this matter in litigation, I'm unable to share anything more at this time."
Contact Tom Schad at [email protected] or on social media @Tom_Schad.
veryGood! (21979)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Puerto Rico Is Struggling to Meet Its Clean Energy Goals, Despite Biden’s Support
- Puerto Rico Is Struggling to Meet Its Clean Energy Goals, Despite Biden’s Support
- Puerto Rico Is Struggling to Meet Its Clean Energy Goals, Despite Biden’s Support
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Mauricio Umansky Shares Family Photos With Kyle Richards After Addressing Breakup Speculation
- In Climate-Driven Disasters, Older People and the Disabled Are Most at Risk. Now In-Home Caregivers Are Being Trained in How to Help Them
- Meta is fined a record $1.3 billion over alleged EU law violations
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Disney's Q2 earnings: increased profits but a mixed picture
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- One Candidate for Wisconsin’s Senate Race Wants to Put the State ‘In the Driver’s Seat’ of the Clean Energy Economy. The Other Calls Climate Science ‘Lunacy’
- Amanda Kloots' Tribute to Nick Cordero On His Death Anniversary Will Bring You to Tears
- Biden is counting on Shalanda Young to cut a spending deal Republicans can live with
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Housing dilemma in resort towns
- Too Hot to Work, Too Hot to Play
- A Natural Ecology Lab Along the Delaware River in the First State to Require K-12 Climate Education
Recommendation
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
In an Attempt to Wrestle Away Land for Game Hunters, Tanzanian Government Fires on Maasai Farmers, Killing Two
Save 57% On Sunday Riley Beauty Products and Get Glowing Skin
Toyota to Spend $35 Billion on Electric Push in an Effort to Take on Tesla
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
A Dream of a Fossil Fuel-Free Neighborhood Meets the Constraints of the Building Industry
Khloe Kardashian Shares Rare Photo of Baby Boy Tatum in Full Summer Mode
Disney World is shutting down its $2,500-a-night Star Wars-themed hotel